A cleavable surfactant capable of disrupting cell membranes and solubilizing proteins with no interference
PPS Silent® Surfactant
Use a Single-Tube, Zero Clean-Up Protocol to Extract, Solubilize, and Digest Proteins from Small Cell Populations. Now you can use mass spectrometry to analyze proteins extracted from LCM samples and other small cell populations without pooling cells from multiple sections. PPS Silent® Surfactant disrupts cell membranes, extracts and solubilizes proteins, then breaks down into non-surfactant hydrolytic cleavage products. The single-tube protocol prepares samples for nanoLC-MS/MS analysis without the use of salts or detergents which would necessitate yield-reducing sample clean-up prior to injection.
- Reduces detergent interference in mass spectrometry.
- Disrupts cell membranes.
- Solubilizes hydrophobic proteins.
- Improves enzymatic efficiency.
- Improves MS analysis of complex protein mixtures.
- Improves membrane protein ID.
- Hydrolyzes into soluble, non-surfactant cleavage products.
- Increase shotgun proteomics sequence coverage.
- Enable membrane proteomic analysis of cells captured by LCM.
- Potentiate trypsin digestion of membrane proteins.
- Enable iTRAQ quantitation of insoluble proteins.
How it Works
PPS Silent® Surfactant is acid-cleavable so it can be removed by hydrolysis. The intact molecule is zwitterionic, so PPS Silent® Surfactant can also be removed by SCX HPLC.
Hydrolysis of PPS Silent® Surfactant clears detergent interference. Acid hydrolysis of PPS Silent® Surfactant clears detergent interference, enabling mass spectrometry analysis of peptides resulting from trypsin digestion of complex protein mixtures. Hydrolysis products are non-surfactant. Loss of surfactant property upon hydrolytic cleavage. Cleavage occurs within 30 minutes in 0.25 M HCl.