RunBlue™ SDS Protein Gels take advantage of Expedeon’s new methods and innovations to the gel making process to increase resolution and reproducibility of separated protein bands. RunBlue™ SDS Protein Gels are based on a novel gel buffer system which provides a separation profile similar to Nupage® Bis-Tris gels, but with enhanced separation of higher molecular weight proteins and better overall resolution. RunBlue™ Protein Gel’s proprietary polymerization process results in more uniform gels between batches, with decreased variability and improved repeatability of results. Our RunBlue™ SDS Protein Gels are also available in 8x10cm sizes.
RunBlue™ Features & Benefits
- Novel optimised gel-buffer system – High resolution and sharp bands
- Extra resolving length – Increased separation
- Unique homogeneous polymerization – Increased consistency and no residual free acrylamide
- Extra Wells – Run up to 12 or 17 samples simultaneously
- Deep and wide wells – Load up to 35 μl (12 well) or 20 μl (17 well)
- Standard format – Compatible with 10x10cm protein gel tanks such as NuPAGE® XCell SureLock™ Mini-Cell
- Protruding teeth – No well contamination in case of overloading
- Resilient gel matrix – Tear-proof gel and risk-free handling
- Comb-free – No potentially broken or damaged teeth
- Strip-free – No potentially ruined Western Blots
- Clipped cassette – Fast and gentle opening
- Neutral buffer and high chemical stability – shelf life of 2 years at 4ºC and 6 months at RT
- Higher Resolution – Accommodates more bands
In addition to their high resolution separation of protein all RunBlue™ Protein Gels have a number of enhancements to improve and streamline usability. RunBlue™ Protein Gels are up to 10 times stronger than conventional hand-cast gels and can stand up to repeated handling. This practically eliminates the risk of torn and unusable gels encountered during normal gel manipulation. More lanes than standard gels allows more proteins to be run and wide, deep wells allow higher volumes to be loaded.
Cassettes have no comb or tape to remove and no excess gel to trim, all of which improves the speed and efficiency of the loading and running process. Wells are outlined and numbered for quicker sample loading and the cassette is labeled with gel type, percentage and a unique lot number for traceability. Well teeth protrude above the cassette to prevent sample contamination between wells in case of overloading.
The RunBlue™ SDS Protein Gel 10x10cm cassettes are designed to fit a number of gel tanks such as Invitrogen® XCell SureLock™ equipment, Hoeffer, and Owl tanks. RunBlue™ SDS Protein Gels are highly optimised for a TEO-Tricine buffer system and must be run with this buffer system to achieve good results. TEO-Tricine buffer is available as a premixed 20X solution, or a homemade version can be mixed using the available recipe. The samples must be prepared with a TEO-Cl based sample buffer which is available as a premade 4X solution, or can be homemade with the freely available recipe. RunBlue™ Protein Gels have an extended shelf life of 2 years at 4ºC which is ideal for large stocks or infrequent use. They also have a 6 month shelf life at room temperature which is convenient when fridge space is limited.
Polyacrylamide gels are based on the polymerization of liquid acrylamide and bis-acrylamide. The polymerization is usually induced by the addition of a source of free radicals and a stabilizer (usually APS & TEMED) which induces cross link formation between acrylamide and bis-acrylamide monomers. This localized chemical induction results in heterogeneous polymerization across the gel due to acrylamide concentration gradients being generated, and can lead to the presence of residual free acrylamide at the end of the polymerization.
Expedeon has developed a unique physical induction technology which ensure homogenous polymerization across the whole gel and no residual, acrylamide free after the end of the polymerization. Numerous studies have shown the acrylamide monomer is a neurotoxin and possible carcinogen*. Acrylamide can be inhaled as a dry powder, evaporate from liquid solution and sublimate from solid gels if not fully polymerized. RunBlue™ gels are polymerized in a unique homogenous manner that results in a consistent gel with minimal or no residue after casting.
* AIHA J (Fairfax, Va). 2002 Jul-Aug;63(4):468-73. Inhalation exposures to acrylamide in biomedical laboratories.
Click to read more